- Each week, we will notify a subset of our families to participate in our weekly testing for the following week.
- The number of students tested each week at your student’s school will depend on the level of Covid-19 immunity that exists in the school community. Schools that have a higher level of immunity (from Covid vaccination or recent infection) have more natural protection from Covid-19.
- Assuming Covid-19 case rates remain stable, the number of students tested weekly will gradually decrease overtime for every school before completely phasing out the screening testing program.
- We will be prepared to temporarily increase testing for periods of time as needed (i.e., in the event of a surge and/or a trend of increased positivity rate).
- In the event of a positive case or exposure to Covid-19, testing will continue to be offered at school for all students, as needed according to KIPP SoCal’s COVID-19 response protocols.
There are several free/low-cost options available to individuals to get tested for COVID-19 outside of school.
If you have insurance, begin by contacting your doctor, local hospital, clinic or local pharmacy. If you have health insurance through an employer or Marketplace, your insurance will pay you back for 8 at-home tests each month for each person on your plan. Learn more about insurance reimbursement here.
However, you do not need insurance to get free PCR and rapid antigen tests through any of the options listed below:
- Free at-home PCR testing kits are available for pick up at designated locations in Los Angeles County for individuals who have symptoms of Covid-19 or think they were exposed to Covid-19.
- Individuals can book a free PCR test at various locations around LA County or San Diego County.
- Every home in the U.S. is eligible to order 8 at-home COVID-19 tests at no-cost! If you haven’t already done so, order yours at covidtests.gov or by calling 1-800-232-0233. Only your name and residential address is required to place an order.
- At-home tests are available for sale around LA County & San Diego County and online. Check with local retailers and pharmacies to see where at-home tests are available.
- If you do not have a healthcare provider and would like to get connected to one, or if you need assistance finding a Covid-19 testing provider, please call 2-1-1.
- Find daily and county updates on COVID-19, on-going health & safety protocols, vaccination information and resources and preventative practices to mitigate the spread at CDC.gov.
Self-Swabbing for Students
Your child will self-administer an easy Covid-19 Test using a shallow nasal swab in the front of the nostril, under the supervision of a staff member. Please watch video for a quick overview!
We are partnering with the Valencia Branch Laboratory (VBL), a public health laboratory managed by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and Color software interface for processing test results.