KIPP SoCal Teacher Residency at Alder GSE
Let our Team & Family be the first step in your pathway to becoming the teacher you are meant to be. Earn your California teaching credential through a powerful apprenticeship program focused on teacher and leadership development within a highly effective, hands-on, mentored, and formal learning environment.
Our goal is to provide our KIPPsters with highly skilled teachers and learning communities through the education and development of a diverse group of passionate leaders. Our residency pairs you with a master teacher with a proven track record of helping students make great academic gains. Co-teaching alongside an effective teacher, you'll learn valuable mindsets and skills to prepare you for a lifetime love of learning.
Graduate Theory and Hands-On Practice
The KIPP SoCal Teacher Residency program provides a balance of graduate level theory and hands-on practice. Your learning curve will escalate through 4 days in-classroom with a seasoned KIPP lead teacher and one-day in a cohort seminar. And as you would imagine, apprenticeship through our program allows you to clear the pathway for early hiring and lead teaching roles within the award-winning KIPP SoCal charter public school network.
Credential and Masters in One Year
Through in-person and online learning sessions, the KIPP SoCal Teacher Residency program will enable you to earn your teaching credential and Master's degree in only one year. The program provides you with the resources and guidance you need to pursue a career pathway within an award-winning organization that strives toward educational equity and excellence for all students.
An Investment in Your Future
We recognize how difficult it may be to make the investment on your own. In order to support you on this journey, we provide a stipend, additional financial support for testing and study materials, along with ample resources and guidance throughout the year.
Meet Our Graduate Partner
The Teacher Residency focuses on immersive theory and graduate coursework that can be applied towards a master's degree through our partnership with the Alder Graduate School of Education. Learn more about our partnership with this renowned program here.
Partner With Alder Graduate School of Education
The KIPP SoCal Teacher Residency at Alder GSE program partners with Alder's immersive theory + practice residency program through graduate coursework that can be applied towards a master's degree. The program is based on a residency model that combines immersive hands-on practice in the classroom with educational theory and research in both seminars and online. In this residency year you will:
- Earn your Master's Degree and Teaching credential in one year.
- Apprentice four days a week with an expert teacher at KIPP SoCal.
- Learn with a cohort of peers that will fast become lifelong friends and colleagues.
- Build relationships with expert instructional leaders who will advise and support you.
- Engage in critical conversations about diversity, equity and inclusion with mentors, instructors and peers.
- Receive priority consideration for a full-time position upon completion of the program.
- All within an affordable program that provides financial support.
Application Deadlines & Timeline
|Round||Application Deadline||Follow-up screening||INterview Day||Acceptance Deadline|
|Priority||Oct. 15, 2021||Oct. 18th—Oct. 28th||
Nov. 5, 2021
Nov. 19, 2021
|Round 1||Nov. 5, 2021||Nov. 10th—Dec. 2nd||
Dec. 10, 2021
Dec. 20, 2021
|Round 2||Feb. 4, 2022||Feb. 7th—Feb. 17th||
Feb. 25, 2022
Mar. 11, 2022
|Round 3||Mar. 25, 2022||Mar. 28th—Apr. 14th||Apr. 22, 2022||May 6, 2022|
- Bachelor’s degree completed by the end of June 2022
- A grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on the last 60 semester units or 90 quarter units preferred. If below a 2.65, you will be asked to request and submit a GPA appeal.
- Tuition: $19,500 for Cohort 2021-22
- Please Note: Tuition for Cohort 2022-23 will be finalized in December 2021
- You will be awarded a $20,000 stipend to support with the cost of tuition and testing fees
- Loans acquired during undergraduate education can be deferred because Residents are enrolled in a Master’s program
Summer: Graduate level coursework via 3 weeks of in-person course intensives. Regional/school-based professional development.
Fall: Co-teach. Weekly seminars with regional cohort. Continue graduate coursework in-person and online.
Winter: Co-teaching ramps up. Continue weekly seminars. Continue graduate coursework in-person and online.
Spring: Complete coursework. Earn credential & Master's degree.
What I love most about KIPP SoCal is their goal to provide our children with the best educational choices possible, so that they return and uplift their communities.