Los Angeles, CA (May 1, 2023) — KIPP Philosophers Academy (KPA)—a tuition-free, college preparatory charter public middle school that has been a mainstay in South Los Angeles since 2012—will host a ribbon cutting ceremony on May 15, 2023, from 4:30-6 p.m., to celebrate the opening of its new permanent campus in Watts.
“Building a community school from the ground up included a decade's worth of unwavering teamwork, passion, and commitment. While it has not always been easy, the journey demonstrated—and continues to demonstrate—how successful we can be when we work together,” said KPA School Leader Elizabeth Gronquist. “KPA wouldn't be here without the boundless love and support poured into our school from the Watts community. We pride ourselves on being a school that has worked alongside generations of families, and the community we serve, to ensure our KIPPsters have the tools and resources to succeed in high school, college and beyond.”
The new three-story building, which opened in 2021, is 29,703 square feet featuring 22 classrooms, including an art studio, theater room, and a powerful mural from award-winning LA artist Mike Norice. The building also features 8,475 square feet of outdoor play area and 2,110 square feet of multi-purpose outdoor space.
The program will include remarks from prominent community leaders, guided tours of the new KPA campus, and an interactive art installation with Mike Norice. Attendees will also have the opportunity to view KIPP Philosophers Academy student artwork.
- What: KIPP Philosophers Academy Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- 4:30 p.m. — Campus tours, interactive activities and refreshments provided by Apaches Catering, a KIPP family-owned business.
- 5 p.m. — Formal program, student performance and ribbon cutting ceremony.
- Program Speakers:
- MC: Zakari Gray, KIPP Philosophers Academy Student
- Keith Corbin, Chef, Author & Co-Owner of Alta Adams
- Tanya Ortiz Franklin, LAUSD Board Member, District 7
- Elizabeth Gronquist, School Leader, KIPP Philosophers Academy
- Honoree Reverend Mac Shorty, Founder, Community RePower Movement
- Dr. Peter Watts, Jr., CEO & Co-Founder, Watts of Power Foundation
- Appearance by the KIPP Philosophers Academy “Raptors” Dance Team & Drumline
- When: Monday, May 15, 2023, from 4:30-6 p.m.
- Where: KIPP Philosophers Academy, 1999 East 102nd Street, Los Angeles, CA, 90002
- Why: KPA currently serves 350 students with the mission of providing every student with an excellent education rooted in the arts, humanities, and philosophy so they can thrive in high school, college, and beyond. KIPP Philosophers' ultimate goal is for all students to put their knowledge into practice to impact their communities in a long-lasting and positive way. Please join KIPP SoCal to celebrate the courage, community, and commitment that made the dream of a permanent campus in Watts a reality.
About KIPP SoCal Public Schools
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is a nonprofit organization that operates 24 tuition-free, open-enrollment charter public schools, grades TK-8, within 20 Local Education Agencies. KIPP SoCal's award-winning schools educate students with a whole-child approach to learning and support over 10,000 students and 6,800 alumni to and through college.
KIPP SoCal Public Schools have won three National Blue Ribbon School awards, nine California Distinguished School awards, nine U.S. News & World Report “Best Schools” across the country awards, and 11 Top LA County Public School awards.
KIPP SoCal Media Relations
Contact: Stephanie Salazar