San Diego, CA (February 15, 2023) — KIPP Adelante Preparatory Academy (KAPA)—an award-winning tuition-free, college preparatory charter public middle school that has been part of the San Diego community since 2003—will host a ribbon cutting ceremony on February 27, 2023, from 3-5 p.m., to celebrate the opening of KAPA’s new permanent campus in Southeast San Diego.
The program will feature remarks from prominent community leaders, guided tours of the new KAPA campus and interactive activities, such as painting decorative tiles to display on the campus.
Attendees will also have the opportunity to create a living wall with CORE (Community Organized Relief Effort), which recently partnered with KIPP SoCal to share knowledge with KIPP middle schoolers about climate awareness, green spaces and the overall importance of environmental stewardship.
- What: KIPP Adelante Preparatory Academy Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- 3 p.m. — Campus tours, interactive activities and refreshments provided by Tacos El Paisa and Grandma LuLu’s Table, a local non-profit committed to fighting food insecurities.
- 4 p.m. — Formal program, living wall installation and ribbon cutting ceremony.
- Program Speakers:
- Master of Ceremonies: Nancy Maldonado, Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer, Rady Children's Hospital
- Carlos O. Cortez, Ph.D., Chancellor, San Diego Community College District
- Alicia Gwynn, Ph.D., Entrepreneur & President, Tony and Alicia Gwynn Foundation
- Kathleen Harmon, Community Leader & Founder, San Diego Peace Coalition
- Roxanne Cowperthwaite, School Leader, KIPP Adelante Preparatory Academy
- Angella Martinez, CEO, KIPP SoCal Public Schools
- Appearance by the KIPP Adelante Dance Team
- Where: KIPP Adelante Preparatory Academy, 426 Euclid Ave, San Diego, CA 92114
- When: Monday, February 27, 2023, from 3-5 p.m.
- Why: KAPA was founded in 2003 in downtown San Diego serving the Barrio Logan community, and deeply values the partnerships it has forged over the last 20 years. In 2020, KAPA transitioned to a new permanent facility in the beautiful community of Southeast San Diego next to the Jacobs Center but was unable to celebrate because of the pandemic. KIPP SoCal invites you to celebrate KAPA’s new home and the incredible community of individuals who made the dream of a permanent campus a reality as we honor our roots by planting the seeds of tomorrow.
About KIPP SoCal Public Schools
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is a nonprofit organization that operates 24 tuition-free, open-enrollment charter public schools, grades TK-8, within 20 Local Education Agencies. KIPP SoCal's award-winning schools educate students with a whole-child approach to learning and support over 10,000 students and 6,800 alumni to and through college.
KIPP SoCal Public Schools have won three National Blue Ribbon School awards, nine California Distinguished School awards, nine U.S. News & World Report “Best Schools” across the country awards, and 11 Top LA County Public School awards.
KIPP SoCal Media Relations
Contact: Stephanie Salazar